GAWB operates a water delivery system of raw (non-potable) water and of treated (potable). The water delivery system comprises a network of pipelines, pump stations, chlorination units and reservoirs for balancing storage. Underlying tenure for water delivery is predominantly contained in pipeline easements but also includes some elements within GAWB's freehold land and other elements within government reserves.
GAWB owns and manages over 200 kilometres of bulk water pipelines and related infrastructure in the Gladstone region. This network efficiently transports bulk water from Awoonga Dam storage to water treatment plants to distribution networks owned and operated by GAWB.
The Awoonga Pump Station pumps water from Lake Awoonga at a rate of up to 3,000 litres per second. The water is carried to Gladstone through a series of pipelines, ranging in diameter from 700mm to 1440mm.
The bulk water network allows water to be moved across the region to where it is needed most to ensure a consistent supply of high quality water.
The network includes:
- Awoonga Dam on the Boyne River in the Gladstone region
- Connection with the Awoonga to Callide Pipeline (owned and operated by Sunwater supplying power generation customers in the Callide Valley)
- Delivery pipelines for delivery of bulk raw water to treatment plants and industrial customers and for delivery of potable water to GRC's water reticulation systems and to other industrial customers
- Water treatment plants in Gladstone City and at Yarwun
- Water quality testing facility
- Raw water pumping station at Awoonga Dam and Boat Creek; and potable water pumping stations at Benaraby, Calliope, Glen Eden, Boat Creek, Gladstone Water Treatment Plant (High Lift and Low Lift) and Yarwun Water Treatment Plant
- Raw water reservoirs at Gladstone (Fitzsimmons Street), Toolooa and Boat Creek and potable water reservoirs at the treatment plants, Boyne Island, East End, Golegumma, Mt Miller, Curtis Island and South Gladstone
- Lake Awoonga Recreation Area adjacent to Awoonga Dam (including a waste water treatment plant).